[The Messiah] will shine upon those who sit in darkness and the shadow of death, to guide our feet into the way of peace – Luke 1:79
How might you and I seek and see God’s help in these troubled and anxious times? How might we prepare ourselves to work for peace and reconciliation at home, in community, in nation, in the world? How and where is God at work in your heart and circumstances to bring you the personal peace you need in order that you may offer others mercy, forgiveness, peace, and reconciliation?
Every text has a context. Our reading tonight sits within the witness of Zechariah, the father of John the Baptist, as he shares how John will prepare the way of the Lord and what the Messiah will bring to us (Luke 1:67-79). Verses 76-79 outlines the progressive steps toward the full life Christ brings us: 1) Preparation, 2) Knowledge of God, 3) Mercy/Forgiveness, and 4) Walking in the ways of peace.
May God bless your reflection, self-examination, openness and commitment to newness.
REFLECTION QUESTIONS: Luke 1:76-79
- To whom do you need make peace? What do you need to change to bring peace?
- To whom do you need listen more carefully, less judgmentally, in order to better understand?
- What might you dare to initiate, to do, to propose, to address, with God’s help?
- What do you need to learn first to prepare you to take additional steps?
- Do you trust God to prepare you, to give you knowledge, to forgive you, to help you walk in ways for peace? If not, why not? If so, are you willing to advance?